Dates: Sunday, July 23 thru Friday, July 28, 2017.
Click here to Register!
Registration Fee: $325/child (Grades 1st through 12th grade) LAPA-NCR membership is required
Mis Amigos Culture Day Camp is for adopted children of Latino heritage and their siblings. This annual summer camp is a celebration of their birth cultures and of the adoptive families to which they belong.
It takes place at Colesville Presbyterian Church in Silver Spring, MD (just outside Washington, D.C.).
Children who have attended Mis Amigos in past years say that the camaraderie with other adopted Latino kids and the great classes make this one of their best camp experiences of the summer.
Campers take part in art, dance, music, sports, games and Hispanic culture and language classes taught by local members of the Latino community. All campers also participate in a service project to benefit children in Latin America or the local community. Other activities throughout the week may include cooking Latino food, live music, storytellers, speakers from the Latino community, and field trips. On one afternoon, the entire camp visits a local pool for some fun-in-the sun. All campers may voluntarily participate in age-appropriate programming designed to engage and support their understanding of their adoption experiences. Specific programming content will be available to review in advance for these optional activities.
1st through 8th grades: Throughout the week-long camp program, we offer Latin American music, art, dance, cooking, games, sports, and a community service project.
9th through 12th grades: These high school participants are Counselors-in-Training (CITs) and work directly with the younger campers all week to engage them in camp activities and act as role models. CITs also participate in a community service project and activities especially designed for this unique group of campers. In addition, high school campers attend a team-building event and may participate in new CIT focused activities during camp week.
- ALL CITs are eligible to receive high school Student Service Learning hours for the week. (Must complete high school SSL form for credit.)
All campers may voluntarily participate in age-appropriate programming designed to engage and support their understanding of their adoption experiences. Specific programming content will be available to review in advance for these optional activities.
Camp Dates and Times
Sunday, July 23, 2017 through Friday, July 28, 2017
- Sunday, July 23, camp begins at 5 p.m. with an opening ceremony and potluck dinner. Campers will also receive their camp T-shirts (cost included in the registration fee) and meet their counselors and fellow campers.
- Monday, July 24 – Thursday, July 27 camp hours: 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Friday, July 28 camp hours: 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Friday, July 28 camp closing fiesta, with catered Latin American dinner buffet: 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Extended care available Monday – Thursday: 3:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
$325 for the first camper; $300 for additional campers from the same family.
- Family must be or become LAPA-NCR member
- Honorarium of $100 provided to parents active on planning committee or those who volunteer full-time for at least 4 full days at camp (see jobs marked ** on Parent Volunteer Form). The refund will be provided AFTER camp week.
- Refund Policy: $50 processing fee & LAPA-NCR membership, if applicable, are not refundable. If notified by June 16, 2017, all remaining fees will be refunded.
Contacts for more information about Mis Amigos Culture Camp:
Questions about camp program, adoption activities and general LAPA-NCR questions:
Camper health concerns:
Registration and Parent Volunteering or Parent Form questions
High School/CIT camper questions
Depending on available resources, a limited number of financial assistance packages may be available to camp participants. Please email Donna Hawley at email@example.com for information. All inquiries will be kept confidential.
We depend on volunteers to run the camp (the teaching staff is paid) and require parents to participate in a significant capacity. There is a tuition discount for at least 4 days of volunteering during the week of camp, or doing significant pre-camp planning. For a list of the volunteer activities for camp, please see the document, Mis Amigos Camp 2017 Volunteer Opportunities
Mandatory Camp Counselor team building and training is scheduled for Saturday, July 22. If you are interested in being a camp counselor, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Early Bird Registration!!! -Register by Friday, May 19, 2017 and receive $25.00 off the total camp registration fees.
Refer a New Family to Mis Amigos - Receive a $25.00 rebate once that family registers for camp!